Friday, July 8, 2011

"My" Jesus

I don't why I still seem surprised when God is trying to teach me something it shows up EVERYWHERE! I think He knows me well and that sometimes things have to be pounded in before I "get" it and what He's working with me on now, I am still not sure that I "get" it as well as I should and still have a lot of work to do.


I want people to love "my" Jesus, I want them to know His grace, but I have a preconceived idea of "who" deserves this grace (ouch...). My friends, the people who act like us, dress like us, and have the same background, of course, they do. I want them at my church, in my Sunday School class... but Jesus does not discriminate...He wants everyone! I have such a bad habit of quickly forming a judgement on someone based on their attitude, clothing, housing, etc.  God has really been showing me lately that I need to look past all that "stuff" to see real people.


In our ABF class we are doing a video study on the book of Philippians.  Paul is writing to the church at Philippi and telling them how he longs to be with them again.  With a little background we learned that this church was not started from preachers, teachers, law makers.  The church began with a woman who sold expensive fabrics (a ceo personality), a young slave girl, and a blue-collar law official.  They didn't all have the same background, they didn't act alike, they wouldn't hang out together on the weekends, but they made the church work because they were focused on the gospel.


In our Thursday morning Ladies' bible study we are doing a series on the Holy Spirit by Jim Cymbala.  Throughout the series different people give their testimonies of how the Holy Spirit has worked in their lives.  So far we have heard from a man who was involved in a gang and openly did drugs on the front steps of his business because he had no fear of authorities and a young Cambodian mother who tried to end her life several times and had multiple affairs (followed by abortions) in hopes of contracting aids.  Both of these people are now on fire for God and living changed lives.


Last Sunday, our associate pastor began a new series and preached on the woman that washed Jesus' feet. All those around were shocked that Jesus would allow a sinful woman (most likely a prostitute) to wash His feet. Yet Jesus said to her "Your faith has saved you, go in peace." Luke 7:50  "My" Jesus wanted her.  He wants everyone.


Seeing a common theme here?  I had been thinking about it for the past couple of weeks and realized that I definitely needed an attitude change and then just sort of forgot about it and went on with life.  God has a funny way of wanting you to actually apply what you learn.  Fast forward to a couple of days ago when I was watching the Casey Anthony verdict being read aloud.  I was infuriated with the verdict.  How could this jury seriously find her not guilty on all of those charges?  I chimed in on a few Facebook posts and continued to watch Fox news in disbelief. 


Later that night, I got back on Facebook and find a friend that has this as her status "Casey Anthony will probably be released soon and will possibly relocate and perhaps feel like she needs to find a church. What if it's yours? What if she's in your small group? In your living room? Please just ponder."


Hmm... I am still not sure that I want her in my living room, but I know she needs Jesus, just like the rest of us do. I've obviously still got some work to do....




2 comments:

  1. Good Word sister. Wait until you hear what God has for us this week...same theme. I'd say He's trying to make a point :) He's good & He's GOD...praying we give HIM the glory HE deserves and maybe just for one minute take a glance through His eyes. May HE help us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME, Courtney! Let's work together on this!

    ReplyDelete