Tuesday, October 25, 2011

For a season

Rushing...it's something I have always been guilty of.  I am always wanting what's next... in high school- it was waiting for college- in college- it was waiting to get married- once married- it was waiting to have a baby- now that we have a baby- it's waiting for when we'll have the next one or when he'll be big enough to _______(fill in the blank with so many fun things we have planned...my favorite being DISNEY!!!). But why? Why am I always wanting what's next? Summed up in one word...discontentment! Ouch!

Danny and I went to see Courageous a few weeks ago with friends from church. If you haven't seen it, you really should.  We decided to both read the books for men and women that go along with it. The women's book is written by Priscilla Shirer and is so far one of the best books I have ever read.  The first chapter is on being a woman of contentment...and it was a tough read for me!

I am learning that being content is a process, one that involves trusting God and being thankful for the blessings he has given me and knowing that they are not only enough- they are more than enough! It is not complaining about washing the dishes, picking up the toys (for the 10th time that day), being exhausted, making a budget with one income where there used to be two, and the so many other things that come along with this season in life.  It is about being grateful- for my beautiful family, my friends, my home, and the blessing of staying at home to raise our sweet boy and hopefully future child(ren)!

My favorite passage so far from the book is this:
"When you've concluded that what you already have on hand is enough, that it's adequate-that it's been deemed by God as sufficient- then you're equipped and empowered to participate fully in the tasks set before you during this season of life."

Wow! How selfish of me to want more, to want to rush this season?!?! God has given me more than I could have ever imagined and I want to live in this moment-not just merely survive it.  I want to be intentional about my walk with him, raising my family, and ministering to others.  I know that I can't do that on my own (just the thought causes me to want to take a nap :) )- it can only come from Jesus!


This little guy is growing up too fast already and I don't want to rush it anymore! 




Even if I do just feel like this at the end of some days..... :)


"God is able to make every grace overflow to you, so that in every way, always having everything you need, you may excel in every good work." 2 Corinthians 9:8


No comments:

Post a Comment