Thursday, May 5, 2011

Making Strawberry Syrup

On Tuesday, Amber and I headed to Rome with Brody and Will to meet our mother in law, Mary (aka Granny to the boys), at the strawberry farm to pick some strawberries for a couple of canning projects.  Rain was predicted for later in the day, but the morning weather was perfect.  The season has just started at the farm so there were still plenty of berries to choose from. Granny showed Will which ones were the best for picking.


Amber helping Brody get to a berry. He was much more interested in pulling off the leaves.


They have a sign up that you can only eat one or two before paying, so it's probably a good thing that the one Amber picked for B to eat was very tart. He didn't want anymore after that.  (I realized once we got there that a red outfit and red stroller do not equal great strawberry farm pictures!)


Will was a fan!



Brody was checking out the loot.


The farm is in such a pretty area and I love the barns they have on site.  They sell homemade ice cream and fried pies, too- yum!!


The final count...


After picking, I wanted to get some pictures by the lake.  I told the boys to sit on this tree stump not realizing there was an ant hill close by.  Poor Will had ants all over him, but thankfully only two little bites. 


Moving onto the next photo op....


Pictures are never easy with squirmy little ones!


The plan was to come back to my house and use our strawberries to can strawberry syrup, but when we got here we realized our subdivision did not have water so Mary had to come back on Wednesday. Canning is quite the process I learned and I think I will be much more appreciative when people share their canned goods with us in the future :) 







Part of the finished products....


I can't wait to try our syrup out with pancakes on Saturday morning!  My next adventure is to make strawberry jam, but my mother in law won't be here to help so if you don't see a post about in the future just know that it was probably a total disaster :)

No comments:

Post a Comment