Saturday, November 20, 2010

Danny's Surgery

Danny had a cyst come up on the back of his neck a few weeks ago and after consulting with our family doctor, the decision was made that he should have it cut out in a hospital setting due to its size and location.  They were going to put him under general anesthesia so that he would not feel any pain. He came home telling me it was a routine procedure and there really wasn't anything to worry about.  The surgeon could tell already that the cyst was not cancerous and was not going to cause any damage.  Well, the surgery was scheduled for last Friday, but it ended up being postponed because Danny (along with many other of our friends and family) got the stomach flu.  It was not pretty at the Parker house for a few days! I was a little relieved that it was postponed because I was pretty nervous about him being put to sleep.


"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28 

The surgery being postponed definitely worked out for the good in Danny's situation.  When we got to the hospital, the anesthesiologist felt that the surgery could be performed under heavy sedation instead of actually putting him to sleep- a huge relief for both of us! Danny did great and was quite the trooper.  I was a little disappointed that he wasn't still drugged up in the recovery room because I was looking forward to my husband who seems to always have it under control being "loosey goosey".  I begged him to let me take a picture of him in his purple (the nurse swears it was periwinkle blue) hospital gown with his glasses on and leg cuffs, but he wouldn't, knowing good and well if I had, it would have been blog worthy and shared with the world!

All in all, the surgery went well and he is recovering nicely.  There was really only one stressful part of the day and it didn't have to do with Danny at all.  The recovery area for outpatient surgery is not very secluded. Little areas are just blocked off with thin sheets so unfortunately, you hear everything going on around you. While we were in the waiting room earlier in the day, a dad came in with his little girl who was probably seven or eight and was having surgery.  He was complaining about everything to everybody in the waiting room loud enough for all to hear.  Aren't waiting rooms always so entertaining? He went on to explain that his wife had just had a baby and needed to be at home so he had to bring their daughter in for surgery.  The little girl ended up being in the recovery area right across from Danny.  Danny's mom, who is an RN, was with us and when the little girl woke up screaming from being put to sleep, she told us that this was very common for small children and the nurse would probably go and get her parents so that she could calm down easier.  Well, when her dad came back, he only made things soooo much worse!  He was yelling at her to stop crying and even told her if she didn't that they would put her back to sleep.  He continued on telling her that it was her fault she had to have surgery in the first place- I mean, really?!?! I was so heartbroken for this poor little girl and wanted to just go in there and love on her myself.  I prayed for her and her dad last night in hopes that she is okay and her dad's heart will change.  I hope this sweet little girl had a loving mommy at home and she got all the TLC she needed last night.  The world just doesn't always make sense and I am so thankful it is not my job to figure it all out!

No comments:

Post a Comment