The Seven Cries:
1. Father forgive them for they know not what they do.
Isn't it amazing that Christ was focused on forgiveness of others as He hung on the cross. There are probably sometimes where we sin and don't really know what we are doing, but most of the time we do know and we do it anyways. Yet, He still forgives us- unconditional, amazing love!
2. Today you shall be with Me in paradise.
Many times as Christians we look forward to paradise (heaven), but the real gift is not heaven- it is that we will be with HIM forever!
3. Mother behold your son, son behold your mother.
Jesus once again is showing his love and compassion for others. He wanted his mother and the ones He loved to be taken care of.
4. Father, why have you forsaken me?
It was tradition during Jesus' time for a speaker to begin a Psalm and the crowd finish it. Jesus was starting Psalm 22. He felt so far away from the Father when the wrath was upon Him. How many times do we feel God is so far away, but He's really right there all the time!
5. I am thirsty
This is the first time we see Jesus speak of Himself..First, He is the "I AM"! He only asked for something to drink so He could finish saying what he wanted to to the crowd. It was not a self centered statement. I think about all the times that I complain about stuff that's really not that bad (cleaning the floors, picking up toys for the 1,000th time, cooking dinner, etc..). I can definitely learn some lessons about not being self centered!
6. It is finished.
IT being "redemption" not the work of us as Christians. Jesus fulfilled prophecy on the cross, but He is not finished and neither are we. It is our job to spread the news to others through whatever our gifts are: teaching, loving, serving, etc...
7. Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.
He is running to the Father...are we?
Ahh...I know my words are not doing this justice at all, but I just wanted a reminder for myself and hopefully you can get something out of it, too. I am so thankful and so undeserving, but Jesus was thinking of me (and you) while on the cross. It doesn't get much more humbling than that!
SUDNAY is coming!!! I can't wait to worship our risen Savior tomorrow!


No comments:
Post a Comment